what to put in bread?!
sun dried tomato bread is delicious!! and would work perfectly with french bread :) or you could try some garlic cloves and make your own garlic bread?
My dad squeezed some fresh orange into his bread mix and added chocolate chips, so it was like chocolate orange bread...reallly delicious!!! xxxx
1. Toasted walnuts and chopped dates or figs are wonderful and then serve the bread with Norwegian goat cheese and caramelized walnuts.
2. Cranberries - dried ones and orange zest and juice with a hint of nutmeg.
3. Fresh chopped herbs like the ones you have for poultry dressing: sage, rosemary, thyme, parsley.
4. Toasted and milled seeds: Mexican style: cumin seeds, coriander seeds, one chipotle pepper, and some oregano, cinnamon and add a couple of Tablespoons of cocoa powder to the flour mixture
5. East Indian: cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, celery seeds, fennugreek seeds - dry toast them in a skillet only for a few minutes and then crush them in a mortar with a pestle or in a spice blender.
6. Ground nuts - like hazelnut meal or almond meal - add a cup to the flour - might have to substitute for some of the flour and or add some moisture to the wet ingredients - add some lemon zest and juice with the almond loaf and add some sugar - 1/2 cup.
Add some cocoa powder with the hazelnut meal and also some sugar too. for more moisture add milk or water.
7. My Granny used to use her left over potato cooking water (she was into recycling 100 years ago) for her bread water. It is full of flavour and it was warm and the added the yeast and enough flour to make a dough and it was a really nice soft bread and full of great smells and taste.
8. I have used leftover cooked breakfast cereal as the starter in my bread - the Joy of Cooking has a great recipe for Cracked wheat bread.
9. Even used leftover sauerkraut and added a teaspoon of caraway seeds and a cup of rye flour for an interesting texture. YUMMO> makes great sandwich bread. Ham and mustard!
Oregano and garlic
Parmesan cheese and garlic
Cumin, Tumeric and cheese
dried fruit bits without the raisins
chopped apples and nuts
ginger and dried peach bits
dried cranberries and cherries with clove
Black olives, roasted garlic and rosemary. I think I saw Emeril do something like this. I also bought some with walnuts.
I'd go with roasted garlic cloves. Toss them with a bit of olive oil, and roast them in a pan. Then toss the whole lot into the dough.
try banana bread..
raisins+cinnamon is amazing, especially if you have a type of icing to glaze over it