what is the order of food in a 7 or 10 course meal?!
Hi Holly. This is the normal order of courses in a formal meal (although of course you don't need to serve them all):
1. Canapes/appetizers served with an aperitif
4. A sorbet (or another palate cleanser)
5. Meat or poultry dish (main course)
6. Salad (often served with cheese)
8. Crackers/bread with a cheese board
9. Coffee (with optional liqueurs).
There would normally be fresh bread and butter available all through the meal, and appropriate wines for each course. I believe in the States that you serve salad as a separate course. However, in the UK, they tend to serve it alongside the main course as a 'side salad'. I personally prefer this