What will happen if I microwave a drink in a mug that's not microwave safe?!

Question: What will happen if I microwave a drink in a mug that's not microwave safe!?
Does the mug just get hot!? Is that what's unsafe!? Or does the drink get poisonous paint from the mug in it!?Www@FoodAQ@Com

Mugs, which are usually ceramic, are usually not labeled!. There are some ceramic dishes which cause problems, like metal or getting too hot, but these do not decompose into food!. Ceramic does not present food safety problems!.

Same thing with glass, although it does tend to get hot and you don't have a handle to keep it from burning you!.

There are urban legends like plastic containers particles becoming cancerous when heating in the microwave!. I dunno, but whenever you heat something you increase the likelihood of pulling chemicals out!. So you really should take that kind of info with a grain of salt!.

But you really should just always use "microwave-safe" labeled containers!. Personally, I don't heat any plastic in the microwave unless it's one of those occasional Ramen noodle bowls (very rarely)!. =P

This website has all the microwave-safe labels around halfway down the page if you're interested: http://www!.scn!.org/~bk269/plastics!.htmlWww@FoodAQ@Com

well the mug probably would get hot, if it is not microwave safe!.!. so wear gloves when handeling it!.!. and when you are microwavign it make sure there is no metal in the cup or there will be sparks as mentioned before!. As for posinious paint, I think that lead paint is illegal to make in mugs and stuff like that, because people die from lead posining, and i dont think that any mugs would be poisinous from it!. There is a small chance that the mug could have an air pocket in it if its not microwave safe, which could cause *only if it gets realy hot* for it to explode which is never good!. i hope i could of been of some assistence =)Www@FoodAQ@Com

If it is plastic, it is likely to crack or melt, releasing petroleum into your drink!.

Metal will kill the microwave!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

The mug could get very hot and you could burn out the oven!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

if there's metal in the paint, there could be some sparks Www@FoodAQ@Com

The consumer Foods information on foodaq.com is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
The answer content post by the user, if contains the copyright content please contact us, we will immediately remove it.
Copyright © 2007 FoodAQ - Terms of Use - Contact us - Privacy Policy

Food's Q&A Resources