Can I use my old state driver's license to buy alcohol and get into bars while I wait for my new state one?!

Question: Can I use my old state driver's license to buy alcohol and get into bars while I wait for my new state one!?
I applied for a CA state driver's license, but it won't come in the mail for 2 weeks!. However, they put a hole about the size of a hole puncher through my old state license, I assume to invalidate it!. My question is can I use this old license for ID purposes when I buy beer and go to bars, or am I basically screwed until my new license arrives!? They gave me an interim license, but it is just a piece of paper so I don't think it would hold up for ID purposes!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

If the old license has not yet expired, it is still a valid form of ID!. The paper one is valid for traffic purposes, but are easy to forge so liquor stores and bars won't take them as ID!.

An expired ID would not work, though!. You could have simply used your friend's expired ID!. A friend you look similar enough to, anyways!. I've known people who did this -- it does work sometimes, but if they notice its expired you can't use it!.

This is why I highly reccomend you make friends with the store clerk!. They'll recognize you, and you stop getting carded!. Www@FoodAQ@Com

That's what I wondered!.
My husband just got his license renewed and we went out to the bar a few weeks ago!. They cut the top off and the bartender said it was invalid and they couldn't accept it!. This particular bartender said he needed the paper license and a picture ID that is not the cut license!.
But every other bar we went to, he didn't need the paper license!. He just uses his military ID!.
But from experience, no you cannot use the invalid license!. You need a valid picture ID and maybe the paper, depending on if the bar needs a state ID or will accept a government ID!.!.!.But we're in Texas, it may be different where you are!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

You can take you're old hole punched license with your paper and show them!. Usually it'll work if you can match the picture to the name on the paper!. Some places aren't allowed to take it, but not all will turn it away!. Chances are, you'll be okay!. Give it a shot!. Worse thing that'll happen is they'll say no!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

Carry both of them together and I'm pretty sure you'll be OK!. The old one is still a valid ID, the hole is just to signify you've applied for a CDL!. Which is why you have the paper one to back it up!. I'm sure bouncers, bartenders, and cashiers have seen many IDs with the hole punch!.

(P!.S!. They actually took my old license when I moved to CA, and all I had was the slip of paper!. I used my passport for additional backup when buying beer!.)Www@FoodAQ@Com

Hmm, not sure bout the hole in it, usually yes you can do that!. I would assume a reasonable liquor store would take it as long as the picture and date of birth are still intact!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

You should be able!. It is still a legal ID!. If anyone questions it, then go elsewhere!. The main problem you will have will be the folks carding you wont know where to find your birthday!. Www@FoodAQ@Com

You can not use an expired license for anything!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

as long as its not expired you should be good!. if its expired they won't accept it!. Www@FoodAQ@Com

The consumer Foods information on is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
The answer content post by the user, if contains the copyright content please contact us, we will immediately remove it.
Copyright © 2007 FoodAQ - Terms of Use - Contact us - Privacy Policy

Food's Q&A Resources